Open PST File
PST file extension is commonly used by Microsoft products to manage Personal folders. These personal folders hold information including contact, email, local messages, calendar, and others. This is used as a reference for these Microsoft applications to acquire accurate data. This is mostly liked to emails setup under POP3 settings where information is linked from the provider. PST files are limited to 2GB.
During the earlier release of Microsoft Outlook '97, personal folders were written in ANSI format. Information for application such as Windows Messaging, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Microsoft Exchange Client are stored on files with this extension.
Outlook using POP3 mail server download email messages from the server and store it locally to a host computer using the default file Outlook.pst. PST files are very important in organizing and backing up email information. A contact list can be created using this extension to be pointed to a different location with it the directory where it will be used as the new placeholder for email information.
One major issue with PST files is security. Many computer viruses and worms are able to penetrate installed security software and are able to open PST files and scan them to gather information, causing some risk of divulging contact list and other relevant information without the owner?s knowledge.
Aside from other Microsoft product, Mozilla Thunderbird is able to support PST files for import facility.
Open PST File on Windows OS
- Find a PST file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the PST file in question.
- If you know the application which can open PST file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open PST file then try to search for "PST wiki", "application to open PST file" or "PST file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open PST file
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 17 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open PST files, file extension pst and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...